1. The world is facing a crisis of sand shortage. In the construction sector, the world consumes about 4.1 billion tons of cement every year. The amount of sand used is about 10 times that of cement, and in construction projects alone, the world consumes more than 40 billion tons of sand every year. Statistics from the United Nations Environment Programme show that global sand use has increased by 200% compared with 20 years ago. Because the sand in the desert is too smooth and round, it is not suitable for buildings. The most common sand used in the construction industry is usually river sand.
2. China and Russia signed a memorandum of understanding on cooperation in the construction of an international lunar research station. The National Space Administration of China and the Russian State Aerospace Group will adhere to the principle of “joint consultation, co-building, and sharing” to promote extensive cooperation in the International Lunar Research Station, open to all interested countries and international partners, and strengthen scientific research exchanges. we will promote the peaceful exploration and use of space for all mankind.
3. Japan: GDP grew at an annualised rate of 11.7% in the fourth quarter, estimated at an annual rate of 12.6%, and GDP grew at a month-on-month growth of 2.8% in the fourth quarter, with an estimated growth of 3.0%.
4. The US House of Representatives voted for and against the US$1.9 trillion COVID-19 rescue bill on March 10, local time. The plan will be submitted to US President Joe Biden for signature into law.
5. The Japanese government will specifically allow foreigners related to the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games to enter the country, but will limit the number of people. It is envisaged that there will be about 2000 people a day, and the restrictions will be relaxed in stages.
6. World Health Organization (WHO) very much supports COVID-19 ‘s electronic certificate of vaccination, which can record vaccination information efficiently and accurately. There is a significant difference between obtaining information from vaccination certificates and using such certificates to restrict people’s travel, and there is a need to ensure the privacy of vaccination records and that vaccination certificates can be read on different platforms. A standard and technical basis for such certification is being established.
7. Japan Machine tool Industry Association: due to the huge number of new orders from China, the overall order value of Japanese machine tools surged by 36.7% in February from a year earlier to 105.553 billion yen, or about 6.32 billion yuan, showing an increase for the fourth month in a row, the largest increase in three years. Monthly orders broke through the 100 billion yen mark for the first time in 19 months, a new high in nearly two years.
8. The US Treasury Department: the budget deficit in February was 310.9 billion US dollars. As the US fiscal year began in October, the budget deficit in the first five months of the 2021 fiscal year reached 1.05 trillion US dollars, a record high for the same period. The budget deficit for the same period in 2020 before the outbreak of COVID-19 was 624.5 billion US dollars. The Congressional Budget Office says the stimulus bill will increase the deficit by a further $1.16 trillion in 2021 and $528.5 billion in fiscal year 2022.
9. The ECB: keep the main refinancing rate at 0%, the deposit mechanism interest rate at-0.5%, and the marginal lending rate at 0.25%. The scale of the emergency anti-epidemic bond purchase program will be kept at 1.85 trillion euros. The pace of buying emergency anti-epidemic debt purchase programs will be significantly accelerated next quarter.
10. After several rounds of discussions and consultations, the semiconductor industry associations of China and the United States announced on the 11th that they would jointly set up a “working Group on Technology and Trade restrictions on the Semiconductor Industry of China and the United States,” which will establish a timely information sharing mechanism for the semiconductor industry of China and the United States. exchange policies on export controls, supply chain security, encryption and other technology and trade restrictions.
11. The House of Representatives of Spain has passed a bill to decriminalize marijuana used for entertainment, medical and scientific purposes. The bill will allow the issuance of five licenses for the cultivation, transport, sale, research, import and export of marijuana. Only people who have reached the age of 18 and have a license can grow, carry or consume cannabis and its derivatives. If the bill eventually becomes law, Mexico, with a population of more than 120 million, will become the largest country in the world to legalize drugs.
Post time: Mar-12-2021